Kicking-off a new mobile development project or new idea is very exciting. We get that lighting of inspiration or that desperately awaited approval from upper management to get our initiative going and we get very excited. However, before you start spinning your wheels and spend a lot of energy (and money) in the wrong direction, you better cross your T’s and dot your I’s. The more effort you put upfront in any project, typically pays-off many times over at the end.
To help our clients organize their ideas, goals and objectives, we typically formulate several questions during the consultation phase. These questions help our clients further refine their ideas, understand the risks and opportunities and ultimately helps to make the project a successful one. In addition, it helps us formulate an accurate proposal and reduce the risks of scope-creep and budget-creep and overall frustration.
Our questions cover 4 stages of the idea creation process as well as the logistical, technical, legal and financial aspects of creating a mobile app.
Idea Creation Stages:
- Idea: Collection of innovation potentials, derivation of ideas, evaluation and release of ideas.
- Concept: Extensive analysis and derivation of concepts for the solution, implementation and marketing.
- Solution: Development and testing of the solutions to the finished product.
- Market: Arouse and fulfil a customer’s needs by implementing in procurement, production and logistics as well as marketing and sales.
- What is the objective of this mobile application?
- Has anyone created this mobile application already?
- How is my mobile application better than others?
- Who is the target audience for my mobile application?
- What are the legal risks related to my mobile application development?
- Are there ethical implications related to my mobile app?
- How much will it cost to develop my mobile application?
- Should I hire a development team in India or elsewhere to create my mobile app?
- Should I hire a local development company to create my mobile app?
- Do I need a marketing agency to develop my mobile application project?
- Should I create a mobile app for iPhone, Android or both?
- Should my mobile app be created using native code or hybrid technologies?
- How is the application going to generate revenue?
- How much will it cost to maintain this mobile application?
- Is my application prepared to scale?
- What are the cyber security concerns related to my mobile application?
- Does my mobile application need to comply with PCI regulation?
- Does my mobile application need to comply with HIPAA regulation?
- Is the development team I am hiring, capable of creating my mobile app?
- Can a freelancer develop my mobile application?
- What technology stack is my mobile app being developed on?
- Do I have a marketing plan in place?
- How much do I need t spend on marketing to promote my mobile application?
- Should I use social media to promote my app?
- What marketing channels should I use to promote my mobile application?
- Do I need to pay taxes on the revenue of my mobile app?
- Do I need to be incorporated to publish a mobile app?
Work In Progress
This article is a work-in-progress as we constantly refine our questions and add new ones, but hopefully, it will give you a good starting point to have a meaningful conversation with your development team to ensure you get the most out of your investment.
Considering a new web or mobile app project?
Schedule a 15-minute consultation call with an expert. We'll guide you on viability, technology selection, budget and other recommendations - absolutely free.